Search Engine Optimization is the key to getting website traffic, or in a nutshell, SEO is vital for your business. In our series on Internet Marketing, today, we will talk about tips on search engine optimization.
* Choose the right keyword that best describes your business. For example, if you are in the business of let’s say Home Finance, your keyword should be ‘home finance’, ‘home credit’, ‘housing loan’ etc
* Your domain name should contain at least one of the primary keywords preferably at the beginning. You can separate the keywords with a hyphen, such as ‘abc-home-finance’
* Your directory name and the file name should comprise of second and third keywords.
* Search Engines are not very friendly with error pages and so, ensure that your web page doesn’t have syntax error.
* Your site title should contain keyword, preferably in the beginning, within the first 66 characters. When a person searches for a keyword, the title will be displayed, so make sure what you choose.
* The important keywords should be contained in the heading. However, these should not be same as the page title.
* Choose meta description wisely.
* Images take more time to download, instead, make use of text in the navigation menu.
* Include a few synonyms, although not all at some of the places. The primary keyword should be placed in the hyperlink and also close to the hyperlink.
* It is crucial that the crawlers index all the pages of your website. So, make it a point to include a sitemap.
* Your visitors will shy away from your page, if it takes too long to download. So, restrict your site page size to 15KB to 25KB for optimum results.
* Crawlers don’t take frames, Flash, java scripts and images easily. So, use it only sparingly, if you must.
* If your URL is dynamic, then you need to insert a keyword into it to make it SEO friendly.
* Keep away from spamming.
* Add rich, unique and crisp content to your website to make it SEO friendly.
* It isn’t a good idea to submit your website to the major search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo again and again. If you are continuously updating your content, then you would be better off if you provide newsletters and RSS feed to your visitors.
* Exchange links with website related to your business, and whose page ranking is better than yours.
* Try to have more incoming links to your site, as search engines would consider it to be of high value.
* Add your video to YouTube, and tag it like you did it for text.
* The above SEO techniques are time tested and will ensure that your page will rank higher. It should be remembered that your SEO efforts should be carried out on a continuous basis, if you want to retain higher page ranking. Content is the king, and will remain so. Therefore, pay due attention to your content. Also, your landing page should be reader friendly and equally interesting withSEO high value information, so that once the visitors reach your page through the search engine, they will perform the desired action.